Wednesday, December 23, 2009

New Traditions?

Christmas at home is a new adventure for us. In 16 years of marriage we have never spent Christmas by ourselves in our own home. Eleven years ago we spent it in our rental in Nicholasville, Kentucky, but our parents came to spend it with us. Lainey doesn't really remember it. Every other year we have either been at Mike's parent's home or at my parent's home on Christmas morning. A couple of days later we travel to the other home and do Christmas all over again. This year will be different.

It isn't that we don't want to go home for Christmas; we do. We love to see our families and frolic in the snow. Okay, frolic is not exactly what I do, but the girls try to get as much frolicking in as possible. Last year we had snow overload. It was wonderfully nostalgic of my childhood. Anyway, we don't get to go home this year because of Mike's job. He loves his promotion, but well, there is a cost called extra responsibility.

So what do we do with ourselves? That has been the question on my mind. We have no real traditions of our own. Last week I had the unique experience of trying to figure out what to cook for Christmas dinner. I have never even thought about it. Mike's family has a steak dinner with all the fixins. My family has a buffet at my sister's home with about every dish you can think of. Mom, brother and sister contribute and they are all great cooks.

Well, I took a break in writing to bake, make candy, make homemade pizza and watch Facing the Giants with my family. I guess those activities might make a good start at this new holiday experience for us....

1 comment:

  1. You should set up a blog over at Pleonast!

    I like it lots more than here. Sure, you don't get to pick your background, and some people don't like the default black, but I've come to love the place.

    There's lots of Christian folks there that are from the south, too. :^)

    Check it out! I think it's layed out much better, and there are lots of cool things you can do that you can't do here.

    BTW, how did you get lucky enough to have "valerae" available at blogspot.com???

    So anyway, check it out:

    http://pleonast.com/markolinux

    Later!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete